When John Deere Ag Management Solutions embarked on an ambitious project of rolling out their next generation of software, they knew from the very beginning that they could use some help. The solution required enhanced in-cab displays with embedded field management software, embedded software to record vast amounts of data obtained in real time from an array of implements on the equipment, and a suite of desktop applications to help farmers, coops, and contractors manage data about their agricultural operations.
In addition, the team faced a series of technical challenges such as:
- A new embedded operating system
- New approaches and architectures on the desktop
- Extensive use of XML for flexibility while maintaining high performance
- Support for numerous legacy formats and protocols
- The need to balance application architecture openness for partners and vendors while maintaining a competitive edge for John Deere proprietary equipment solutions
Leveraging its broad technical skills unified under common vision, approach, and methodology Coherent Solutions team brought it expertise in:
- Requirements analysis and documentation
- Embedded software development
- Enterprise architecture
- Data and application integration
By combining an on-site presence with development in its offshore facility, Coherent Solutions provided cost-effective software development services that delivered results within John Deere's schedule.
In two years Coherent's development team helped Deere to build a robust application architecture framework and took a leading role in developing a set of components responsible for transfer of data between in-cab and desktop software that were open to partners and vendors and backwards compatible with legacy formats. In addition, Coherent Solutions worked on various applications and subsystems within the framework that are now coming into trial deployments with selected partners of John Deere AMS.